The wife of the Everton international footballer arrested on suspicion of alleged child sex offences has left the marital home for her hometown.
WonderTV Media earlier reported that an Everton footballer was arrested on the grounds of child sex offences. Read the news here.
The foreign player, who has not been named in the UK media for legal reasons, has been moved to a ‘safe house’ since his arrest by Greater Manchester Police on Friday.
The accommodation is believed to have been arranged by Everton club officials following his suspension by the club over the allegations, which, it is understood, he strenuously denies.
His wife is believed to have been staying at another luxury home of theirs for several weeks before his arrest.
A source close to player said she was being comforted by members of her family.
She was spotted walking near the house with her father on Monday evening soon after news of the scandal broke. It is believed that the star and his wife had travelled to the property after the end of the football season, as they normally do each summer.
But he is said to have returned to Merseyside after the allegations against him surfaced.
The source added: ‘I’m told from a reliable source that he is in a safe house that Everton got him and he is being supported 24/7.’
He is said to have not been seen at the marital home, which he normally shares with his wife and is worth nearly £2million, for at least two weeks.
The footballer is a household name in his own country and his name has been used to endorse some products.
The boss of a leading supermarket chain in his home country announced yesterday that his name was being stripped from promotional material in its stores – even though he may never be charged over the allegations.
The star, who plays for his international team, was arrested last Friday and released on police bail, pending further inquiries, after being quizzed.
Police are said to have raided his UK home and seized potential evidence earlier this month.
Everton confirmed they had suspended the arrested player, but have refused to identify him, despite him being named in media reports in his home country.
The decision not to identify him led to Everton midfielder Fabian Delph being wrongly named on social media as the arrested footballer.
Thousands of social media users read and shared fake messages claiming that Delph was the arrested man, even though he has no involvement in the case.
Greater Manchester Police have not added to their earlier statement which said: ‘Officers arrested a man on Friday, July 16 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences. He is on police bail pending further enquiries.’
A spokesman for Everton said: ‘We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation. ‘The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.’